Friday, August 13, 2004

Friday, August 13

We have been very busy in the last couple of days. Yesterday, we went to the Citadel downtown. It was interesting, but very hot. (We've decided the temperatures here are hot, hotter, and way too hot.) There were two mosques that we saw there. The first was the Mosque of Muhammad Ali. It was interesting. Muhammad Ali is entombed inside. There's also a clock that was given by France but that was damaged upon arrival and never fixed. There was a second mosque that we went to that was built in the 1300's. It was interesting to imagine what it must have been like at that time. The Citadel sits very high up so you can get a good view of the expansiveness of the city. It was a good day, but very hot. It wore us all out to be out in the heat.

We've mainly been trying to help the two new teachers get settled, so we've been going around to shops and showing them the area. We are doing much better at communicating with people and getting around town. We managed to get the post office to understand that we needed stamps. Joe and I also have been able to get around town in taxis, and we are finding that we are able to ask for what we want in stores. I'm so proud of us that we are actually learning a few Arabic words. We think our tutor is helping a lot, and we are finding that we just have to try to say the words. It is definitely slow-going!

We are still finding that people are so helpful and nice here. Just the other night we were trying to communicate with our bowab, and a man came up to help us. He lives in the building and helped us translate to Muhammad, our bowab. We talked to him and his wife just a little bit, and then they offered us the take-out dinners that they had just brought home! People here just offer you what they have. They offered to help us in any way that they could. Last night, they called and invited us to an Egyptian meal today. We thought that was really very nice of them. I can't wait to see what it's like. I'm a little worried because it's not like they know I'm a vegetarian. I may have to just eat meat. Yikes! Joe and I have to find a patisserie (bakery) that is open, because it is polite and customary to bring your host a gift. We are worried that none will be open because today is their holy day. I will have to write about our experience. Also, I will upload pictures from the Citadel as soon as I can find a camera battery.


No comments: