Saturday, September 17, 2005

Saturday, Sept. 17

It's been so long since I've written, but that's mainly due to the fact that our phone line was going on and off for about four days. I told my students that our phone wasn't working and they said, "Oh, that's not so bad. It could be your water or electricity." I told them that those had both gone off as well at some point. You just never know what's going to happen in Egypt. I think we've got our phone back again, though.

Not much has been going on. We're enjoying our students this year, so school is going pretty well despite constantly changing schedules. We got a new schedule and I (Emily) was supposed to teach P.E.! No one asked me about this, of course, but I actually didn't mind. I spent the whole period playing soccer with the girls. We even threw around the American football. We'll see how it goes.

Hmm...what else. Oh, apparently, I'm starving my husband. When we went over to the neighbor's he wanted to know why Joe doesn't have a big belly like him. Joe said it's because I'm a vegetarian! He was teasing, of course. I told our neighbor that in America the men helped cook and clean. He was shocked and decided that he had it better as an Egyptian man. They do not lift a finger in the kitchen or home. Joe says, he knows the real truth and American men have it better regardless.

We're still looking for a new apartment. We found one that we liked and accepted it, but then the landlady said she's waiting for the tenant to decide if he wants to stay or go. We have a bad feeling that he'll want to stay. We don't really understand why she's showing the place if he hasn't made up his mind. We think she's trying to force him to decide. The bad thing is we were all ready to take the place, and then this came up. Oh well.

Joe's looking forward to coming home soon! Too bad I'll just have to sit here being jealous. Just over a week and he'll be on that long flight home.

No comments: