Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Tuesday, February 7

Egypt is always an interesting place. They are holding the Africa Cup soccer tournament here, and Egypt is in the semi-finals tonight. I'm assuming they just won by the noise on the street. First of all, we got out of school early today because of the game tonight at 7 p.m. More than half of the students didn't even come. Apparently, if you want a seat at the stadium, you have to get there around 11 a.m. The kids told me they sell more tickets than there are seats, and you can't enter the stadium after 4 p.m.

The interesting thing is that when the Egyptians win, the whole city goes crazy. All the cars drive down the street honking their horns in the same rhythm. They hold huge Egyptian flags out the windows of their cars and cheer and sing. The whole city comes together to do this. I guess since Cairo essentially is Egypt, everyone is so centralized. There's definitely a strong country pride. I know the outcome of the game must have been good since the streets are alive tonight.

It's always interesting to us how Egyptians celebrate. It reminds me of how they protest. The funny thing is they don't realize how it looks to us. It looks like crazy chaos, but really, it's just the way they celebrate and show their emotions. You can always expect singing, chanting, and a general loud, chaotic atmosphere. Much different from us reserved Americans. I guess our cities sometimes riot when their team wins. I think I prefer the Egyptian way, even as unusual as it seems.

I wonder who will happen if they win the whole African Cup; tonight is just the semi-finals.

No comments: