Monday, April 18, 2005

Sunday, April 17

As you can see from our photos, we did end up going to the Spring Fling on the Nile with our students. It wasn't too bad. We set sail on a big two-deck, open-air ship. They had a DJ and small dance floor up front, and the students danced the night away. I'm definitely learning a bit about Arabic dancing. Some of the students are really good, but they don't realize that my hips just don't move the same way their's do!

It's really funny, but Arabic music is a huge part of life here. Egypt, and Cairo, in particular, is like the Hollywood of the Arabic world, so they have many big stars and performers that come from Cairo. The students often break into dancing, singing, and beating out rhythms right in the middle of class. I told them it's in their blood or something. They break out into singing all the time. Imagine belly-dancing music or at least the beat of it. It's very different and an acquired taste for our western ears. It took us awhile to get used to it, but now I even like some of the songs. I don't really know the lyrics, just that most of them contain the word "habibi" which means "my love."

So, not much is new. Just a few pictures. Only three more days until spring break.

No comments: