Thursday, April 28, 2005

Wednesday, April 27

Well, a fun-filled day of touring around Cairo didn't turn out exactly as planned, but at least we got out of the house today. I got another disappointing haircut today, and then afterwords we set out to find an obscure palace on Rhoda Island in the middle of the Nile. There weren't many taxis so it took us forever to get there. By the time we arrived, the palace was only open for another half hour and two of the museums were closed, so we gave up on that. Then, we figured it would take forever to get to our next destination, so we gave up on that too.

We tried to head to the Cairo Tower, but it took forever. Traffic was horrible because President Putin was in Cairo today, and many streets were blocked. We eventually made it, and did get to go up the tower. Afterwards, we set out to find the only vegetarian restaurant in Cairo, but it either went out of business or it's invisible. Needless to say, we couldn't find it, and settled for another restaurant.

So, I guess we didn't see what we had intended to today, but at least we went out to do something! I tried to post a few pictures of the green areas of Cairo since I'd discussed with some people what the streets actually look like. It's hard to imagine Egypt having anything green at all, but it's there. We appreciate every bit of it.

No comments: