It appears I've lucked out for today. Joe wanted to spend the day going up to a look-out/radio tower near our apartment. According to the guidebook, you take a "rickety" cable car up to the top. Umm... no thanks. I lucked out because we couldn't find the entrance, but I know he'll find it soon. So today, instead of risking my life, we went for a nice stroll in a park instead.
Panfilov Park had good atmosphere. Just a square of greenery in the middle of the city. We took a nice stroll there, came across a traditional Kazakh wedding couple, and enjoyed the scenery. I may have mentioned how people decorate their cars and then drive all over the city taking wedding photos. It seems like there are so many weddings on the weekends. We must see 5-10 each weekend. We had a good time today, and the weather has returned to being nice after a cold spell last week. The only down side was a husband and wife accordian and singing duo. The wife really sounded like a dying animal. I guess she wanted to feel like part of the team despite her terrible, high-pitched, screechy voice. We had to walk the edges of the park in order to escape it.
Yesterday, we went to the bazaar. It was very crowded, but not nearly as chaotic as Khan el Khalili in Egypt. We picked up a set of dishes there. It's a covered market and there are rows and rows of basically stalls selling the same things. We walked for a good ten minutes through the clothes section alone. Maybe if we need a lot of stuff we'll go there again, but it's so hard with a baby. I feed her right before we go somewhere and it gives us two "borrowed" hours as I like to call them. She did pretty well yesterday. We've been able to turn her around in the baby carrier, so she can check out everything around us.
So, it's been a good weekend. I'm not sure if we're ready for the work week ahead, but sometimes it's more important to just take time out for us.
And before I forget, to answer a question asked of us, Kazakhstan is in Asia.
Sunday, September 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment