Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Little Relaxation

I feel like I have a million things to talk about. I'm not quite sure where to begin. Okay, that sounds like we have been living super-exciting lives, which is definitely not the case. I just have lots of little things to share. I guess I'll start with today and work backward.

Today, we went with other teachers and families to a nearby beach. It was about an hour and a half away by bus. As we were travelling along the highway, we commented to each other that there were so many highrise buildings and so many more being constructed. So many people -it's hard to get your mind around it.

The beach itself was decent. Nice sand, a little litter, but not too bad. You could rent jetskis or go paragliding. You see lots of people with umbrellas here, which makes sense because it rains a lot, sometimes at the spur of the moment it seems. Also, people use them so much as parasols to protect themselves from the sun.

The beach was relaxing. Sophia had a great time digging in the sand and experiencing the tide which I think was a first for her. She called it "crazy water." Good name for it, I guess. We had a little family decide that they were going to camp out under our umbrella with us. We paid about the equivalent of 15 U.S. dollars to rent our umbrella and chairs for 4 hours. Pretty soon, we walk back up to our umbrella and there's a cardboard box flattened with a sack of food and clothes sitting on it behind our chairs. A little grandma comes up later to get something. She smiles and gives a little laugh. We are too nice of course and let her do it. Her two little granddaughters meanwhile were frolicking naked on the sand. No need for bathing suits. Lots of little kids were running around in the buff.

Sophia was yet again an object of attention. I was playing with her in the surf and pretty soon I saw a lady motioning her husband and son to get behind us, so that Sophia could be in the shot. The village kids in Egypt used to want to take our pictures, too, but it wasn't quite like this. Today, Sophia had her picture taken at least three times. I guess it's exciting to see a little girl like her. I can't imagine what it's like to be a celebrity and have your picture taken all the time.

Yesterday, we got out of our teacher training early, so Joe and I took advantage of our new nanny, or should I say Sophia's new nanny, Afeng (rhymes with afung, we think). She took Sophia home and we went to have luxurious coffees at Starbucks. Then, we went to the massage place nearby.

The other day, the school treated everyone to a foot massage. I went and Joe stayed behind because Sophia was napping, so I had to take him for the experience. The "Chinese medical foot massage" as the flyer calls it, is so much more than a foot massage. The whole thing lasts about an hour and it costs about 38 RMB which is about 5 bucks. First, they give you the option of having your massage in an armchair in the hall or in a private room. We chose the hall. Then, they treat you to a free drink. They put your feet to soak in a bucket with warm water and Chinese herbs. Then, they ask you to sit on the foot rest while they stand/sit behind you. Joe and I had two differernt people who went through the exact same massage. It's like watching some kind of dance. Imagine 30 teachers in a room all getting the same massage with the same motions.

You get a full back, neck, arm, hand and head massage. Then, they ask you to sit back in the armchair while they massage your feet and lower legs. They end by wrapping your feet in warm towels. It's divine and only five dollars! It's practically a full body massage. No getting naked, though, so very easy to just pop in and have done. The place is only five minutes from school, so I have a feeling we will be back a few times. The dollar goes a lot further here. Very different from Kazakhstan.

That's all I can write tonight. I want to post some pictures from the beach. I'll also include some older videos from the park, Sophia and the dancers.





Today's beach, paraglider in the background. A worker, sifting the sand for garbage. We did see two policemen walk by with big guns, but I thought it might be better not to try to take their photo.




It is hard to do it justice in this photo, but I really love the landscape and the green vegetation.

A random photo - Sophia got this marked-down, damaged piggy bank at IKEA the other day. It has actually been the thing that has allowed us to put her to bed by herself. We ask her if she wants us to leave the pig with her. (Who would have thought?) Anyway, I caught her the other day showing a movie to her pig.





No comments: